Friday 14 December 2007

Jingle Bells or Jingle Hell?

In the middle of summer we have jolly men sweating in Red Suits chuckling 'ha ha ha' because it's now considered politically incorrect to say 'ho ho ho' for fear children might think they're being called prostitutes. There is tinsel strewn all about and fake frost sprayed onto windows because Christmas is supposed to be wintry, yet we're all in shorts and t-shirts. We're buying gifts for people we see once a year and have no idea what they really want. The religious Christians of us are preparing to celebrate the birth of Christ, but many of our 'gay families' have left religion completely because it's not tolerant of us, or we've simply moved on. The obligatory time with family can be stressful because of family rifts and intolerance, and isolation from family can mean loneliness and sadness.

It's no wonder that a lot of people are hating Christmas.

But I quite like it. I like buying things for friends and family, trying to find something that they'd like, even though I know it's hit or miss. I like spending time eating great food in copious amounts (though I'm much better now at limiting that quantity- it's taken me years), and spending time with family I may not have seen for some time - but have missed. I like the fact that it's summer and we have a few days free to just chill out in the long warm days and not think about anything other than chilling out and spending time, although this year I'll be travelling hundreds of kilometres just for said celebrations and escaping thousands of km afterwards for summer in another world. But it's something about the tradition of it all, of seeing family all together that is fun and homely and even a little nostalgic.

I'd happily forgo the whole commercial slant of it - remove the gift giving and the religious side of things and just use it as time to reconnect and spend time. But without those specific events, we'd probably eventually lose that family time & connection. For some that would be a godsend... For me; I'd be a little sad.

Do you love or hate Christmas? Or is it a mutually tolerated thing?
Feel free to Comment or Take the poll.

No comments: