Monday 21 January 2008

The end of my Weekender

It's not often that I get the consumerist urge, but today was an exception. In fact it's not just been today - but since pre-Christmas. And it's all about a bag. A "Deep Lake Nylon Weekender" as it's announced in the brochure. I saw it in a Country Road store as we were buying Christmas gifts in early December, and new it had to be mine. You see I have this HUGE BAG that carries my gym / swim / everything gear out and about. It's so huge it could fit a human body in it. I knock people over when I turn with it. And now people are coming-to and starting to complain, it's also getting holes and zips that have frozen shut or fallen off. So it is due for replacement. But rather than buy the Deep Lake Nylon Weekender on the spot, back in December I thought I'd put it on my family Christmas list, and if that didn't work then buy it afterwards.

STUPID MOVE. Needless to say Christmas went by and no bag was gifted. I got to the store today finally (well there aren't any Country Road stores in South Africa) and they've sold out. They sold out a few weeks before Christmas. Can I order one in? No they were a Christmas only item and no other store has any left in stock. It's just a stupid bag, but I have a history with Country Road bags - and this was to be my new best friend. I've had to grieve the loss already. I don't think I was kind to the very helpful guy who told me the bad news. Sorry Mr cute salesman at the Pitt Street store.
Another reason to bypass Christmas next year...

No comments: