Monday 29 October 2007

Gay Day in the Park

Saturday, I go to Gay Day in the Park. It's not called that, but it might as well be because every man and his man (and his man's dog) are there, and they're all looking summery & glamorous (peppered with less tanned ones who've been working too hard over winter). They called it Sydney Food and Wine Fair, and if you came early enough - there was some fab food there. (There may have even been some non gay people there at some stage, but if there were they were lost). We get there around 1.30 in the middle of the food frenzy. I don't like queueing, and I don't like not having food (I was starving) - so it didn't start well - I decide to go for 2 desserts as the mains seem to have disappeared - (and the dessert I did manage to obtain was heavenly) - but of course my second serve of pannacotta with roasted banana and coffee crisps was walking down the park in someone else's hands - sold out...

Ultimately I find a gourmet salmon burger that hits the spot, but now I'm all worked up and despite a park filled with men like the one I posted just below this post (okay not filled with - but at least I don't have to look far to find one) I feel the need to escape. I've chatted with friends but I'm edgy and we're too late for our planned catch up with Aussielicious' Brenton, so when a friend calls from Boy Charlton Pool, I'm there in a flash to join him and swim out my edginess that I still don't understand. But it works and I'm mellow again and we have coffee somewhere new afterwards. Then the Frenchman and I go see 4 years, 3 minutes, 2 weeks, or perhaps it's 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days.. at the movies. It's a Romanian film, and reminds us very much of the Romania we visited a few years back, only a tad bleaker. We'd much rather have a kid than abort it like we see in the movie, but despite that the film is quite powerful. We leave thankful we live in Australia, even though Ceauşescu is long gone, and even though we still have little Johnny as our Prime Minister. (Though on Sunday we hear insider information on the election polling trends that makes the Frenchman smile and polish up the Champagne bottle for November 24th.)

Oh and this week I have a new regular post starting... I spent way too long creating the title for it, so it had better be good!! But it's not quite production ready - so you'll have to watch this space...

No comments: