Friday 13 April 2007

Mud Explosions

A bubbling mud pool south of Rotorua, NZ

I'm not sure why, but I LOVE the mud pool where I took this photo. (Have a look at this one in enlarged form by clicking the image). There's the unpredictability of it all - the noise and wonder, the smells, and the splattered mud all around. Maybe I'm primitive at heart, I guess we all are one way or another. Perhaps its the chance to get the 'perfect photo' where the mud is exploding into the air... still smooth where it hasn't yet lost its bubble shape. Regardless, we almost missed the spot - had been there before - but found it again on our trek through Rotorua (in fact way south of Rotorua not just the 2km or so I remembered...) I'm glad we did.

3 comments:

Darwin said...

Looks like you have had a fabulous trip to NZ, I'm jealous. I also love mud pools like that, something to do with the unpredictable bubling, the texture, and the implied eroticism...

Anonymous said...

Trevor, what a great photo, so sharp... almost as it's still oving

Superchilled said...

thanks Peter - glad you like it - getting the timing right is tricky with these babies!